Many organisations understand the benefits of "The Cloud", but the changes to deliver an IT system through cloud principles are often significant.
- Traditional IT systems are based in server rooms on site, and mostly deliver services to devices located on site.
- Cloud and Hosted IT services are provided from datacentres and are accessed across the Internet to any location.
- Hybrid IT systems are architected to choose the right combination of On Site, Cloud and Hosted IT services to provide the services your customers need.
The more forward-looking organisations have already moved towards a Cloud/Hosted IT system, whilst there are many who are still purely On Site.
The industry move from On Site to Cloud solutions could be considreed to be a journely, involving a number of steps (both in technology terms and organisationally), with many of the following being part of many organisations journeys:
- On Site Virtualisation (Server and/or Desktop)
- Remote Access (Files and/or Applications)
- Offsite Backup (Tape/Disk Transport, Alternative Site or Cloud)
- Disaster Recovery (for your IT services)
- Cloud File Storage (One Drive / Dropbox)
- Cloud Mail/Cloud Applications (Google Apps / Office 365)
- Web Applications (Software as a Service, etc...)
- Hosted Servers
- Hosted Applications
- Hosted Desktops
So the big question is:
Where are You on Your Cloud Journey?
To join in this discussion please see this article on LinkedIn.